Friday, July 13, 2012

Triple CP Gamemode

Gravelpit is an excellent CP map. I'd argue that it's one of the best, in fact, and certainly it's one of my favorite. I mean, CP in general is kind of boring aesthetically, and Gravelpit is pretty generic except for the awesome towers over the main control points, but Gravel Pit is probably the most longlived map I've seen in TF2. I think it's the only launch map that I still enjoy playing on.


I like having two objectives. Trying to anticipate where the enemy will be, or anticipating where they anticipate I'll be, and anticipating their anticipation of my anticipation and being where I was start out with, Ah-HA! So what if we had a Gravelpit style map where he who controls two of three points can make a push for the enemy's Master CP?

Hmm. This could use refining. So in TF2 people seeeem to like maps that are either really, really fast (KOTH, Arena) or really, really long (24/7 2fort). So here's the idea: you have a "master control point" guarded by a large door with three locks. There are three central control points (activation locks for the door code). They're all open, and there's several passageways. Unlock CP A, and you activate lock A and open corridor A. You unlock CP B, you activate lock B and open garage door B. Now, if you lose A, however, corridor A closes, while lock A stays open. That way,  the losing team isn't stuck either recapping CP 4 or waiting to lose: they can get out a side door and challenge any one of three CPs, but at the same time the winning team isn't cheated out of a run of success.

It would minimize the back-and-forth loop (maybe people like that?). I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment