Monday, November 19, 2012

Team Fortress Throughout the Ages

So I recently discovered the Wayback Machine, an Internet archive service. It is excellent because they've been taking snapshots of websites periodically for at least the last fifteen years, and boy, amongst the sites they've saved? Teamfortress.com

Check out the first Snapshot: 1/6/1997. Look at that web design! Fiery jpeg text, pure black background... It's great. I cannot snicker about this because I'm not in the business of throwing stones, at least until the lease is up on this glass house I live in, but it's pretty cool to see how far the web has come--how far this site has come--in a decade and a half.

This is probably the greatest gem from that site.  It's Robin Walker's company bio, a little over ten years before the launch of TF2. That's pretty cool.

Robin Walker
Position: Director, Lead Designer
Title: Director of Nonchalance
Future: I'd like to keep coding freeware game add-ons.
Present: I'm handling the game design for our TC, and maintenance of TF.
Past: Two years at uni officially doing computer science (I'm not going back to finish my degree, I swear!)
 The site breaks around 2001 and comes back online, owned by Valve apparently, in 2004, advertising Halflife 2. Interesting to nobody except me, probably, is what Team Fortress 2 looked like when I was a junior in college, when I was just an innocent lad who didn't like FPS games and had only the vaguest idea of what TF2 was all about. Meet the Heavy would change my life and cost me literally hundreds of precious hours of sweet existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment