Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Toying with Sets: Taunts and Voicelines

TF2 is full of item sets, and some item sets, when you wear them, affect the Merc's behavior. Whether this translates to silly voicelines (Heavy is prettiest princess!) or silly behavior (Thriller Dancing) or just something else changes depending on sets, but generally it introduces some new ways for the Mercs to make us laugh.

So I had this idea: what if any given class had been released with a particular set as their default outfit and weapons? Obviously, this would affect the way the players thought about the characters and change the way the characters were written. What if the Sniper was British Expat in Saudi Arabia instead of an Australian? What if the Scout was a bankrobber?  How would it affect their domination lines? How would it affect all of their lines?

For example, I look at the Riot Demoman set and I imagined that the Demoman, rather than being a black Scottish Cyclops, was a black, drunk Scottish Cyclops policeman, and wrote a handful of lines to match.
Here's a selection:
"Die! In the name of the law!"
"I'm a police Officer! I'll leave you in pieces!"
"What's that? Po-lease brutalize me? With pleasure!"
"I'm a loose cannon with nothing left to lose!"
"You have the right to remain dead."
"If you cannot afford a coffin, one will be provided for you."
"What's all this, then?"

"I need this point for police business!"
"This is being held for evidence!"

This is something I intend to do for a handful of sets as I like, and to seek help in doing from the SPUF! Leave a comment with a handful of unique voice lines for your favorite Subclass!

No comments:

Post a Comment